Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, January 24, 2013

How to Make a Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib)

I always make too much food, but when preparing a standing rib roast, it's almost inevitable! The smallest I've seen is two ribs (about 3-4lbs), but you really need to roast this with the bone to get the most flavor. I really like this rub on beef and I tend to use red wine in the bottom of my pan to give it even more flavor. When basting, allow the rub to form a crust before basting it with a liquid. By doing so beforehand, you will just wash off the rub prior to it being infused into the meat. 

As you can see, there really isn't a lot to making a roast other than being prepared to sit home for a few hours; which is why I generally make these types of recipes on a Sunday or special occasion, like Christmas or New Year's Day. I happened to make this one on New Year's Eve where we had 7 people and I liked having the extra meat to use afterwards to use in my Beef Barley Soup



Standing Rib Roast (a.k.a. Prime Rib)
1st Cut, 3 Ribs Standing Rib Roast (approx. 6lbs)
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
3 tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
3 tbsp. Horseradish
1/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Liquid of Choice (wine, beef stock, water)
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
2. Allow meat to come to room temperature 30 minutes prior to placing it in the oven; then season it with salt and pepper. 
3. Combine the garlic, rosemary, horseradish and oil in a small bowl; then spread it onto the meat. 
4. Place the roast rib side down in a shallow roasting pan, and add your "liquid of choice" to the bottom of the pan just enough to cover the bottom (the meat should not be submerged in it). 
5. Roast the meat for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Continue to cook for an additional 1-2 hours; depending on how you prefer your doneness (approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes for medium-rare).
6. Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving. 
7. To carve, begin at the rib top and slice down along the curve of the ribs to separate the meat from the bones; then carve meat into 1/4" thick slices. Serves 10-12. 


*Nutritional Information per Serving (based on 3oz. portion size): Calories 280, Fat 21g, Protein 20g

*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.



*The meat on the bone is deliciously moist, but if eating from the bone is not your thing, cover them in a pot of water with some chopped celery, carrots and onions. Allow to simmer for 1-2 hours and strain to create your own beef stock!







Shared on Thursday's Treasures 1/24/13

6 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I haven't had the occasion to make one of these in a few years but I love your recipe! I always make too much food too...maybe this is my next Sunday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make it often and I don't know why. It's so good. I guess I just have to have company more often on the weekends. Enjoy it and thanks for stopping by Jessica.

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing and just in time. I am having Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner and I love your rub. I also have to prepare an Eye of the Round for the ones who don't want to see any fat in their meet, and the same rub will be perfect. Thank you for sharing your recipe!! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and this rub is perfect on any meat. Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis