Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Maple & Sage Roasted Delicata

It's Day 3 of Thanksgiving Recipe week and today I've got a new, or at least new for me, vegetable for you to try. 

Delicata is a type of winter squash and is also known as peanut squash, Bohemian squash or sweet potato squash. I had never seen one before until I visited my local Fairway Market. They have such a wide variety of produce, amongst other things as I recently mentioned before in my Rosemary Roasted Yellow Carrots recipe. I loved the flavor of this squash, especially tossed with the maple syrup and fresh sage. And, besides a little odd look from Gabrielle because she first thought I had roasted peaches (hmmm....now there's an idea!), the family and I loved it. I just wish I had purchased another one it was so good!  I would double the recipe if you are making this for more than two people. 


Maple & Sage Roasted Delicata
1 Delicata, peeled
1 tbsp. Maple Syrup
1 tbsp. Fresh Sage, chopped
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste












Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 



2. Cut delicata in half lengthwise, remove the seeds then cut in half again forming 4 strips; then cut into bite sized cubes.



3. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. 



4. Place the delicata on a baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes; turning once and allowing them to get slightly brown and caramelized. Makes 2 cups. 



*Nutritional Information per Cup: Calories 126, Carbs 6.7g, Fat 7g, Protein 3.8g, Fiber 1.3g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.

Click here for more VEGETABLE ideas! 

Enjoy!




Thanksgiving Tip
Your turkey is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees when a digital thermometer is inserted by the thigh meat. Remove from the oven and allow to rest under a foil tent for another 45-60 minutes before carving to allow the natural juices to settle into the meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis