Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Italian Vegetable Beef Soup with Orzo

Did you ever make a roast for dinner on a Sunday afternoon and wind up with left over meat and vegetables? I do it all of the time. I guess it's the Italian in me that always wants to make sure I have enough food just in case! I also like to call this my "Everything but the kitchen sink" soup since I use up whatever I have laying around in the fridge. If you don't have leftovers, you can use frozen vegetables and go to your local deli counter for a thick slice of store made roast beef. It's so flavorful, hearty and comforting, especially on a cold, rainy day. 




Italian Vegetable Beef Soup with Orzo
1 c. Beef, cooked and diced (I used leftover Roast Beef)
1 c. Carrots, sliced
2 Stalks Celery, washed and chopped
1/4 c. Red Onion, diced
1/2 c. Cut Green Beans, cooked
1/2 c. Corn
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1 tsp. Dried Parsley
1 tsp. Dried Basil
7 c. Low Sodium Beef Broth
2 c. Water
1/4 c. Orzo (rice shaped pasta)
Directions:
1. In a large pot add your beef, carrots, celery, onion, green beans, corn, oregano, parsley, basil, beef broth and water. 
2. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 45 minutes. 
3. Add in the orzo and let simmer for another 15 minutes or until the orzo is soft. Makes 8 cups. 


*Nutritional Information per Cup: Calories 87, Carbs 4.6g, Fat 2.4g, Protein 11.2g, Fiber 1.2g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis